Thursday, June 24, 2010

Madrid: Day 2

Today did not go exactly as planned. You see, the plan was to wake up, go to the temple, come back and read and write, then go to a nice restaurant we've heard lots about for dinner. I think one of those things ended up happening. Oh well, such is life.

We did wake up, so I guess two of those things happened.

After that, we got ready, took the metro to the stop that's supposed to be near the temple, wandered around for a while trying to figure out where the temple actually is, found two newbie missionaries (one of them said it was his very first day there), and eventually got to the temple, only to find out that it is closed until Tuesday for cleaning. We leave on Sunday. Dang. We were really disappointed. But we still got this picture:

So, we went back to the hotel and checked online to make sure none of our other temple trips were going to have the same fate. Luckily neither of them should, though we might not be able to do a full session in The Hague. I was glad to see that the last two temples should be okay because those are two temples no one in my extended family has been to and I think we're trying to get to them all. 

After that, we grabbed some sandwiches for lunch and headed over to eat them on the steps of the Centro de Arte Reina Sofia (we really like eating on the steps of museums). 

Then we went inside the museum to look at some modern art. A lot of the stuff on the first floor looked like this: 

I am not a big fan of that kind of art. Luckily, the second floor was much better. There was a lot of Picasso and Miro. The main attraction was Picasso's Guernica, which you're actually not allowed to take pictures of. Good thing Greg is sneaky with his camera. 

Part of it is cut off, but I thought it was a pretty good picture considering the circumstances. 

After the museum, we went to the train station to book tickets for Toledo, which we will tell you all about after we go there tomorrow. It should be fun. Then we went to the hotel and tried to make dinner reservations at the restaurant. Unfortunately, they were booked until 11:00 and we really didn't feel like eating then. Apparently in Spain, everyone eats really late. Most restaurants don't even open for dinner until 8:00. So, we decided we'll have lunch there on Saturday instead. We grabbed a quick dinner by our hotel and have been writing/watching the World Cup ever since. All in all, it's been a good day, even if it didn't go quite according to plan. 

No comments:

Post a Comment